Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What Was Missed

Well now, it's already May. Absolutely unbelievable. At the beginning of 2009 I wanted so badly for the time to pass quickly because I was majorly hating my job and itching to go back to school. But now reality is setting in and bringing with it some kind of melancholy. Leaving San Diego and moving back home is going to be a big change with emotional effects- and it's coming up just around the corner.

The people I work with are the potluck type of peeps, and as such they decided to have a work party to wish me good luck after I go. That was the original premise, anyway. It has since grown to encompass all sorts of other things (Cinco de Mayo, some coworkers' springtime birthdays, Mother's Day (!?), a corporate takeover...) Whatev. Even though it's turned into a party for partying's sake, it's still nice that I was considered. I mean, no other work place of mine has had a potluck in my honor before. And perhaps the best part is that it gives me a reason to make a huge batch of homemade spinach artichoke dip. Yep. It's going to be a good party.

Anyway, the other point I have about it already being May is that I haven't made any FO posts since finishing all the Christmas knitting waaay back in December. Well, after all the gifting to family members the first thing I did was to purchase some Malabrigo to knit myself a lacy camisole. It was a very easy pattern. Just join in the round and knit a long tube, drop a few stitches, sew on some straps, and voila!

Pattern: Vixen Camisole by Illana Shapiro
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in Velvet Grapes, 1 skein

Next I got an unusual urge to knit a little animal, which was probably directly related to all of the polyfill that happened to be hanging around the apartment for a totally unrelated reason. I chose a little lamb pattern that was fun and quick, but unfortunately required a fair amount of sewing to attach his pieces together. Everything was flowing just fine until it was time to sew the head to the body (the head is tilted about 45 degrees to the right) and the tail to the backside (the tail is remarkably off-center...how did that happen?) Oh well.



Pattern: Fuzzy Mitten Lamb by Barbara Prime
Yarn: Leftover acrylic in light gray and dark gray

The next urge was for a wearable garment in cotton. At first I really wanted a top-down pullover, but couldn't decide on a pattern. Hours and hours were spent searching Ravelry and scrutinizing my queue before I finally picked out a cardigan with lace panels and 3/4 raglan sleeves. The whole thing was knit in one piece, which was the major selling point. This cardigan has wonderful drape over curves and a nice wide neckline. The only disappointing aspect of the FO is that the button band gapes open like there's no tomorrow.

Pattern: Rylee by Jordana Paige
Yarn: Aslan Trends Class in Blue Jay, 4 skeins

Lastly on the list of 2009 FO's is a mesh market bag. After working Rylee in a cotton, nylon blend, I wanted to give 100% cotton another try. I had some Lily Sugar n' Cream in the stash for quite some time. The first few attempts to knit it up into a set of dish cloths and towels left me less than impressed with cotton yarn. Anyhow a market bag was on the brain for several days, so the cotton made a reappearance. It's surpisingly stretchy and strong at the same time. Good for so many things besides hauling produce.

Pattern: Ilene Bag by Hannah Ingalls
Yarn: Lily Sugar n' Cream Twists, 3 skeins


That about sums up the FO's for 2009 thus far. The next post will be about the trials and tribulations of works currently on the needles.


1 comment:

  1. That lacy sweater looks beautiful! Can't wait to see your Custom Knits beach cover up FO. :-)

    ReplyDelete