Friday, December 11, 2009

Coasters

This year I haven't had the time to knit Christmas gifts. Actually when my mom asked me several weeks ago if I was giving out handmade gifts again this year, I sort of laughed to myself at the idea setting aside hours and hours of knitting time amidst all the hours and hours of time that studying already uses up. Well, I started to think that there had to be some project out there that was quick enough to fit into my schedule, inexpensive enough to fit into my budget, and cool enough to serve as Christmas gifts. So I searched many craft websites and blogs until I found a hand-made coaster project made from curling ribbon.

The only supplies needed are:
Curling ribbon in several colors
Tape (preferably double-sided scotch tape)
Hot glue
Cork
Polyurethane

The process is very simple - wrap the ribbon around itself, forming a disc and adding new colors at will; coat with several layers of polyurethane and allow to harden; glue a piece of cork on the bottom and voila! Coasters! I have nearly finished 2 sets of four and will probably be making 2 more sets. Here's a pic of the first few that got made:



Cute, right? The big ones are approximately 4" in diameter. The little one was a test piece and never made it to full size, but is instead hanging as an ornament on my Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment